The Michelin X Multi range was launched earlier in 2017. Michelin’s own official testing has shown the next-generation fitments deliver 15-20 per cent more mileage than the previous Michelin X Multiway 3D series.
The X Multi range blends low cost per kilometre figures with what is claimed to be the highest safety performance on the market today.
The new range is packed with technology such as Regenion, InfiniCoil, Powercoil and Carbion, which all help deliver extra value and performance for fleets.
The new range was initially launched in four fitments: 315/70 R 22.5 multi-position and drive tyres and 385/55 R 22.5 steer and trailer tyres. The X Multi range was expanded in September 2017 with the launch of 295/60 R 22.5 and 315/60 R 22.5 Michelin X Multi D, and the 315/70 R 22.5 Michelin X Multi Remix (retread) is due to follow early in 2018.
Chris Smith, Marketing Director North Europe – Truck & Bus, says: “These new X Multi tyres offer outstanding grip and greatly improved longevity, taking tyre performance to a completely new level. They also underline Michelin’s commitment to ensuring the lowest total cost of ownership for our customers.
“The double-digit improvement in tyre life is a direct result of Michelin’s significant annual investment of more than €700m in research and development.”
Tyres in the new X Multi range with the F (steer), D (drive) and Z (multi-position) identifications also come as standard with both M+S and 3PMSF markings on the sidewall. Markings that remain valid even at 5mm tread depth.
The new 315/60 R 22.5 and 295/60 R 22.5 Michelin X Multi D fitments are both popular sizes on car transporters and low-height 4x2 tractor units operating onto the continent.
As with all tyres in the X Multi family, the Michelin X Multi D 315/60 R 22.5 and Michelin X Multi D 295/60 22.5 incorporate an RFID chip for electronic tyre identification.
MICHELIN X MULTI Z: multi-position
The new X Multi Z is designed to cut operating costs on regional and national haulage operations and offers a potential mileage increase of up to 15 per cent compared with its predecessor, the X Multiway3D XZE.
The X Multi Z offers impressive grip throughout its life and in all conditions. This is highlighted by the 3PMSF sidewall markings, which demonstrate the performance and safety in winter weather.
The tyre also incorporates InfiniCoil technology, which comprises a continuous steel wire – up to 400 metres in length – wrapped continuously around the tyre to provide greater stability throughout its lifetime.
MICHELIN X MULTI D for the drive axle
Offering up to a 20 per cent increase in mileage potential compared with the corresponding X Multiway 3D XDE fitments, these new drive tyres benefit from the same Regenion tread technology to reveal hidden grooves that appear as the tread wears.
Small tubular ‘Tower Pump’ sipes are also included in the tread blocks to help evacuate water using a pumping action, improving grip in wet conditions.
Other features include:
- Powercoil technology in the casing construction of the 70 Series tyre: this new generation of lighter, yet more robust steel cables means that the tyre is lighter but with no loss of strength or endurance.
- InfiniCoil technology in the casing construction of the 60 Series tyre.Reinforcing the tyre’s green credentials is the low noise these tyres emit during use. This is achieved thanks to compact and rigid tread blocks, combined with a moulded anti-noise barrier, which reduce the main source of tread noise.MICHELIN X MULTI T2 for the trailer axle Key to improving longevity is a tread area which is 6mm wider, having the effect of optimising the contact patch with the road surface and slowing the wear rate.In the European tyre labelling scheme, the Michelin X Multi T2 scores outstandingly in all three rating criteria. In both the wet grip and rolling resistance classes, it is rated ‘B’ – and for noise level, it is rated at 70 decibels.MICHELIN X MULTI F for the steer axleLike the X Multi T2, it benefits from a tread area which is 6mm wider than its predecessor, the XFA Energy Anti-Splash. This has the effect of optimising the tread’s contact patch with the road surface and slowing the wear rate even further.The X Multi F is graded B for rolling resistance under the EU tyre labelling scheme, allowing operators to be confident that they are using one of the most fuel-efficient tyres in its class.
- A new rubber compound and the inclusion of Delta sipes in the tread pattern ensure the X Multi F delivers maximum safety in a variety of weather conditions. The Delta sipes improve braking and cornering grip in winter conditions and on slippery road surfaces. In addition, the sipes are aligned with the direction of rotation to establish an even wear pattern in the early life of the tyre, which helps to further improve tyre life.
- Completing the new line-up, this tyre features a similar tread rubber to the new X Multi Z, allowing a reduction in original tread depth without negatively affecting mileage performance. This reduced tread depth means there is less movement in the tread, which in turn reduces heat build-up and therefore wear.
- The tread pattern incorporates both new Regenion and Carbion technologies, with the latter the result of an innovative mixing process in which certain tread components are mixed when in a liquid state, resulting in a more uniform material. This material increases the mileage performance of the tyre and improves its rolling resistance to allow greater fuel savings.
- The new X Multi T2 tyre stands out for offering up to 20 per cent additional mileage versus the same size of X Multi T, which it replaces.
Available X Multi D drive tyre dimensions
Michelin X Multi D 295/60 R 22.5
Michelin X Multi D 315/60 R 22.5
Michelin X Multi D 315/70 R 22.5